I Will Risk My Liberty to Save Yours! Contact Me

Murder Trial Finally Is Set to Begin in Death of Door-To-Door Research Worker Summer Shipp

JP Law

Murder trial finally is set to begin in death of door-to-door research worker Summer Shipp
Glenn E. Rice, The Kansas City Star
PUBLICATION: Kansas City Star, The (MO)

SECTION: crime

DATE: April 16, 2016

Eleven years have passed since Summer Shipp, a petite Kansas City mother and former owner of a Westport movie house, vanished in northwest Independence.

Four years later, fishermen discovered her skeletal remains in a plastic bag along the banks of the Little Blue River about 7 miles to the east.

This coming week, the criminal trial finally is to begin for Jeffrey S. Sauerbry, the man Jackson County prosecutors charged in 2012 with Shipp’s murder.

Attorneys will select from about 100 potential jurors to decide whether Sauerbry sliced Shipp’s throat and dismembered her body, as prosecutors have said.

Shipp, 54, vanished Dec. 8, 2004, while conducting door-to-door market research. Police and volunteers fanned out multiple days in massive search efforts but did not find her.

Her disappearance generated widespread media coverage and community support. Her daughter, Brandy Shipp, championed the effort. Along with family and friends, Brandy Shipp ensured that her mother’s case was featured on billboards, national television shows and thousands of fliers distributed in the area.

Sauerbry, 43, lived in the neighborhood where Summer Shipp last conducted her research. A witness told police he saw Sauerbry and Shipp walking together to a house in the 1500 block of West College Terrace where Sauerbry lived with his mother.

Shipp’s bronze 1986 BMW was found days after her disappearance in that neighborhood.

Police later arrested Sauerbry, who had a prior criminal history, on outstanding warrants.

He told investigators he had nothing to do with Shipp’s disappearance. Sauerbry said he had to work that day. He denied Shipp ever was inside his house.

According to court records, a witness told police that Sauerbry told him in 2005 that he had raped Shipp.

The following year, a federal judge sentenced Sauerbry to a year in prison for violating probation from a 2003 weapons conviction.

In June 2012, investigators interviewed a childhood acquaintance of Sauerbry. The witness said the two of them were together when Sauerbry said he had killed Shipp because he thought she was a government spy.

The witness said Sauerbry admitted that he choked Shipp and cut her throat. He dismembered her body, placing the pieces in a trash bag and loading it in his van, according to court records.

Prosecutors later said without that witness’s assistance, they had little evidence to charge Sauerbry.

His defense attorney, John Picerno, said this month that the state has hinged its hopes on a “highly circumstantial case without any physical evidence connecting Jeff with the commission of a crime or with Summer Ship.”

Her friends described Shipp as someone who had an “aura of goodness,” loved making others happy and enjoyed marketing work that enabled her to meet new people. Shipp once owned The Bijou movie theater in Westport.

In the three years following her mother’s disappearance, Brandy Shipp remained hopeful that she would be found. A group of supporters, called Friends of Summer, raised thousands in reward money.

Brandy Shipp was traveling in Europe when she learned that her mother’s body had been located. Through her attorney, she declined to comment about the murder trial.

Sauerbry once was hospitalized for mental health reasons. He had imagined that unidentified people in Independence were trying to kill him by injecting illicit drugs into his body, according to federal court records.

In August 2014, Sauerbry was convicted of first-degree murder in the unrelated shooting death of William Kellett, whose body was found in July 1998 in a shed at an Independence used car dealership. Kellett had worked there as a night security guard. Sauerbry also worked at the dealership.

Glenn E. Rice: @GRicekcstar
Archive Article
Back to your search results | Return to the search page | Printer Friendly version
Pleasant Hill woman gets life sentence in baby’s death
Max Londberg, The Kansas City Star
PUBLICATION: Kansas City Star, The (MO)

SECTION: crime

DATE: September 9, 2015

Family members close to the defendant met in court Sept. 8 to plead for a lenient sentence.

The relatives spoke on behalf of Pleasant Hill’s Krystal Scroggs, 30, who was being sentenced for second-degree murder and other charges.

After about an hour of tearful testimonies, Judge R. Michael Wagner sentenced Scroggs to life in prison.

She was found guilty of second-degree murder, abandonment of a corpse and endangering the welfare of a child in April for the death of her baby after she failed to seek medical attention in the hours after giving birth.

Her husband, Matthew Scroggs, faces trial in April 2016. He is charged with the same counts relating to the child, plus tampering with a vehicle.

The baby was born with enough methamphetamine in his system to kill an adult. Authorities later found the baby in a rope-handled tub filled with concrete, allegedly placed there by husband Matthew Scroggs.

“This is a court that has compassion for everybody in this room,” Wagner said before announcing the sentence. “I’m doing what I think is right under the circumstances.”

Before the sentence was given, Scroggs stood and pleaded for leniency through tears.

“I did make wrong choices. I chose to do drugs,” Scroggs said. “I never meant for anything bad to happen.”

She also spoke about missing out on her other children’s lives.

“Please don’t take me away from them forever,” she said.

During the family’s testimonies, a relative close to Scroggs, who wished to remain anonymous for privacy reasons, said that Scroggs has never been in trouble with the law before.

“She’s undergoing the worst punishment that anybody could give her, and that’s not being with her children,” she said.

Scroggs’ four other children, who remain in extended family custody, all had traces of meth in their system.

Cass County Prosecutor Ben Butler said the jury agreed that Scroggs’ failure to take her newborn to a hospital or call 911 was the cause of the baby’s death.

“A life was lost and four others were jeopardized,” he said, adding that the state was seeking the maximum sentence of life for Scroggs for the death of her baby.

“Life (sentence) is fair because he’s not here,” Butler said.

A minister in a nearby church, Richard Litle took to the podium to speak to Scroggs’ character. He has worked in jail ministry for 26 years but said it was just the second time he decided to speak as a witness for a defendant.

“That’s how strongly I feel about Krystal,” he said. “She has grown in strength and faith.”

He attributed Scroggs’ growth to her starting a Bible study from within her cell for other inmates in her corridor.

“I know she’s been a blessing to them,” Litle said.

Scroggs’ defense attorney, John Picerno, said he and his client have already filed a notice of appeal. He argued the state did not provide irrefutable evidence that Scroggs’ failure to seek medical attention led to her baby’s death.

He added he was disappointed with the maximum sentence.

“She was given the same sentence as someone who picks up a gun and murders somebody, and based on the facts of her case, that didn’t warrant a maximum sentence,” he said. “And we’re still convinced as a matter of law she didn’t commit murder.”

If you are in need of a Criminal Defense Attorney KC MO, Call us. Please contact John Anthony Picerno today!